Score: Lynchburg 4, Guilford 1
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (James C. Fox Field)
Records: Lynchburg (9-4, 0-1), Guilford (8-6, 0-1)
Around the Horn
The Hornets scored three runs combined in the 2nd and 3rd innings to take an early 3-0 lead and added an insurance run in the 8th. Guilford gained momentum in the top of the 9th but the Hornets got out of the jam, winning their conference opener against the Quakers.
- With Hylton on 1st and sophomore Nathan Sharp on 3rd, Hylton broke for 2nd and the Guilford catcher threw down in an attempt to get the third out but the throw was off the mark so Sharp scooted across the plate to make it 2-0 Lynchburg
- Junior Tyler Wood sent a pitch into center field in the bottom of the 3rd, scoring Harris and extending the Hornets lead to 3-0
- The Hornets added an insurance run in the bottom of the 8th after Hylton hit a high fly ball that drifted away from the right fielder and stayed fair after it kicked up the foul line chalk. Hylton would end up earning a double, driving in Sharp
- The Quakers got the bats going in the top of the 9th, getting one run across before the final Guilford batter ended the game looking at a fastball on the outside corner
Inside the Stat Sheet
- Senior Zack Engelmann recorded his second complete game of the season and moved to 4-1 after tossing 9 innings with no earned runs and four strikeouts
- Hylton went 2-3 with 2 RBIs and a walk while Harris and Wood both went 2-4
The Hornets will travel down to Greensboro, N.C. to take on the Quakers again on Sunday, Mar. 4th. Lynchburg and Guilford are set to start at 1:00 p.m. on Edgar H. McBane Field.