Reading, Pa. -- Lynchburg freshman Jackie Lerro (Royersford, Pa.) enjoyed her road trip back home, capping off a terrific weekend with a four-goal performance that pushed the Hornets field hockey team over Albright, 5-1, on Sunday.
Nikki Simpao (Stafford, Va.) added the Hornets' other goal and assisted one of Lerro's as LC maintained its unblemished 2017 record.
Final: Lynchburg 5, Albright 1
Records: Lynchburg 4-0, Albright 0-2
Venue: Gene L. Shirk Stadium, Albright College, Reading, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lerro kicked off her scoring spree in the 18th minute on a breakaway goal assisted by Simpao.
- The freshman made it 2-0 eight minutes later when the Lions defense turned the ball over in the box, and Lerro was able to finish.
- Just after halftime, in the 39th minute, Emma Strouse (Dillsburg, Pa.) found Lerro on another breakaway for to make the score 3-0 in favor of the Hornets.
- After Albright got on the board in the 47th minute, Karissa LeMaire (Dewey Beach, Del.) hit Simpao on a penalty corner, and the junior sent the ball into the cage for a 4-1 Hornets lead.
- Lerro added the exclamation point in the 58th minute, deflecting a Lacey Elliott (Newport News, Va.) ball into the cage.
- Lynchburg goalie Hannah Chapman (Albury, Australia) played another solid game, piling up five saves.
The Hornets hit the road again on Wednesday, Sept. 13, when they head to Frostburg State (0-3).