Lynchburg, Va. -- Lynchburg freshman Jackie Lerro (Royersford, Pa.) scored the game-winning goal in the third minute of overtime, putting an end to a feverish comeback by the Hornets field hockey team in a 3-2 victory over York (Pa.).
Final: Lynchburg 3, York 2 (OT)
Records: Lynchburg 6-1, York 5-2
Venue: Shellenberger Field, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Spartans opened the scoring when Ali Posey scored off a penalty corner in the ninth minute.
- Simpao put Lynchburg on the board in the 24th minute, deflecting an Emma Strouse (Dillsburg, Pa.) ball into the cage.
- Posey scored again for York, in the 45th minute, chipping the ball into the Lynchburg goal to give York a late lead.
- With less than two minutes until the final horn, Eldridge scored off a rebound to tie the game, sending it to the 7-on-7 sudden-death overtime period.
- After Chapman made two heroic goals early in the OT, Lerro broke away down the field and beat the York goalkeeper 1-on-1 for the deciding score.
The Hornets will look for their second win over a ranked team this season when they take on Kean University Saturday at 2 p.m. across town at the Liberty University Field Hockey Complex.