Shippensburg, Pa. -- Lynchburg College's field hockey team overcame a slow first half Tuesday evening to dispatch of Lebanon Valley, 4-1, in a non-conference, neutral-site affair played at Shippensburg University.
Final: Lynchburg 4, Lebanon Valley 1
Records: Lynchburg 8-3, Lebanon Valley 3-8
Venue: Robb Sports Complex, Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams battled to a scoreless first half, though Lynchburg out-shot the Dutchmen, 9-5, in the first 35 minutes. Hornets goalie Laurel Nicks (Yorktown, Va.) saved both of Lebanon Valley's shots-on-goal in the half. She finished with five saves in sum.
- Lynchburg wasted no time getting on the scoreboard after halftime. In the 37th minute, Simpao broke through, lifting a high shot that was deflected by a Dutchmen defender into the cage. The junior and former All-American has scored in five straight games.
- Lerro added LC's second score, finishing at close range on a crossing pass from Lacey Elliott (Newport News, Va.) in the 51st minute.
- Simpao scored again four minutes later on a scoop shot after Karissa LeMaire's (Dewey Beach, Del.) penalty corner.
- Eldridge made it 4-0 Hornets in the 66th minute, putting back her own rebound.
- The Dutchmen broke up the shutout late when Cecile Kat scored in the 67th minute.
Lynchburg returns to Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Friday, Oct. 6 with a trip to Bridgewater College. The first whistle sounds at 7 p.m.