Score: Lynchburg College 9, #5 York College 8 (2OT)
Location: York, Pa.
Records: Lynchburg 2-2, York 4-1
From the Face-Off
The Hornets traveled to York, Pa. to take on the #5 Spartans of York College. The game took on a greater meaning by donating all proceeds to the One Love Foundation. The teams warmed up in blue One Love Foundation T-shirts and met in the middle of the field to shake hands and take a stand against domestic violence.
- York answered quickly with Joseph Joseph scoring on an assist from Hunter Davis.
- York's Cameron Leech tied the score at 2-2 on an assist from Thomas Pfeiffer.
- York opened the second quarter with Brendan McGrath on an assist from Austin Glab.
- York made the score 4-2 on an unassisted goal by Thomas Pfeiffer.
- Freshman midfielder Kevin Rogers swept to the middle of the field and scored to make the score 4-3.
- Thomas would score the next two goals for Lynchburg with assists from Dean and sophomore midfielder Nick Willertz giving the Hornets a 5-4 lead heading into halftime.
- The teams traded goals in the third quarter with Dean for Lynchburg and McGrath for York both scoring their second goals of the day making the score 6-5 heading into the fourth quarter.
- York went on a three goal run to start the 4th quarter with Pfeiffer, Joseph, and Leech all scoring unassisted goals to give York an 8-6 lead with 6:26left to play.
- Dean scored his third goal of the game beating his defender from the wing to make the score 8-7.
- Thomas tied the score at 8, tiptoeing the crease and finishing on an assist from Rogers.
- The Lynchburg defense stood strong for the last 1:30 to send the game into overtime.
- Lynchburg goalie junior CJ Santora stood tall making two saves and getting a tough ground ball to hold York scoreless forcing a second overtime.
- Lynchburg dominated possession in the second overtime, with York goalie Landry Marshall making two saves.
- The game-winner came from a successful ride causing a failure to advance violation on York. Senior midfielder Dan Owens grabbed the ball near midfield on the restart and passed to senior midfielder Chris Camarca who found sophomore attackman Evan Lombardo who took a step to the middle of the field, and fired a shot low to high that found the back of the net giving Lynchburg the 9-8 win in double overtime.
Inside the Box Score
- Colin Dean tallied 3 goals and 1 assist in the first start of his career.
- Andrew Thomas recorded his second 4 goal game of the season.
- Lynchburg goalie Santora made 12 saves with a strong performance for the Hornets
- Evan Lombardo's game winning goal ended a contest that featured all three Lombardo brothers with oldest brother Jon (2012 Lynchburg graduate) coaching for Lynchburg, and middle brother Eric (2015 Lynchburg graduate) coaching for York.
- The Hornets gave the Spartans their first loss of the 2017 season
A Look Ahead
The Hornets open ODAC play on the road at Bridgewater College on Saturday March 11.