Score: Lynchburg 69, Randolph-Macon 60
Location: Salem, Va. (Salem Civic Center)
Records: Lynchburg (22-5), Randolph-Macon (16-12)
40 Minutes Later
The Hornets and Yellow Jackets split two regular season meetings with Lynchburg winning the first, 68-55, and Randolph-Macon sneaking away with an overtime victory in the second meeting, 77-75. The teams met a third time but this time a bit more was at stake, as the winner would earn a berth in the ODAC Championship on Sunday. The game featured two defenses who left everything on the court, as they dove for loose balls and took hard charges but in the end the Hornets would be the ones advancing thanks in part to a collective team effort across the board.
- The Yellow Jackets opened the game on 7-0 run before Lynchburg responded with a 14 point run of their own, taking the lead 14-7
- Freshman Carolyn Noe drained a three-pointer just second before halftime to give the Hornets a five point lead heading into the locker room
- Randolph-Macon would come close to taking the lead in the second half but the Hornets stood strong, never releasing the lead to their opponent
- The Hornets found the bottom of the basket in the second half but still had to stave off multiple threating runs by the Yellow Jackets as the game slowly dwindled down
Inside the Stat Sheet
- Junior Caroline Naumann finished the game with double-double, scoring 13 points and swiping 12 rebounds
- Fellow junior Olivia DeFrancesco was the leading scorer in Saturday night's semifinal, recording 15 points which included draining two three-pointers
- Freshman Carolyn Noe registered her fourth game with double digit points after firing 50% (4-8) from beyond the arc and finishing the night with 13 points
- The team tied their season-high for 3PT made after draining eight in the victory
A Look Ahead
The Hornets will be back in the Salem Civic Center for the ODAC Championship on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. and will face-off against the Quakers of Guilford College. The Hornets and Quakers also split their regular-season series, with both teams winning on their home courts.
Awesome win today by our women's basketball team beating Randolph Macon 69-60 in front of an enthusiastic crowd that included our Pep Band and cheerleaders.
Now we need your help in the championship game tomorrow at 3:30 pm at the Salem Civic Center.
FREE ALUMNI TICKETS
- One per person, tickets will be at the Will Call window at the Civic Center. Cutoff to sign up is Noon on Sunday
Sign Up Here --> https://goo.gl/forms/2pF6ezexFtYIN9TN2
FREE STUDENT TICKETS
- First 50 students that sign up for transportation can ride the BUS, which departs from Turner at 12:30 pm.
Sign Up Here --> https://goo.gl/forms/HC0L92QWE1wl7Bhs1