Salem, Va. -- The Lynchburg College baseball team took an early lead but couldn't hang on, suffering an 8-4 defeat at the hands of fourth-ranked Roanoke Thursday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
Final: No. 4 Roanoke 8, Lynchburg 4
Records: No. 4 Roanoke (20-4, 11-0 ODAC), Lynchburg (12-13, 5-7 ODAC)
Venue: Kiwanis Field, Salem, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lynchburg took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first on RBI singles from sophomore left fielder Shawn Allen (Columbus, N.J.) and Hylton's RBI double.
- Roanoke halved the lead in the first and took a 5-2 lead on Will Salva's second-inning grand slam.
- The Hornets made it 5-3 when junior shortstop Thomas Powell (Stanardsville, Va.) scored on a first-and-third play in the fourth, but Roanoke added three more runs in the bottom of the fifth to take control of the game.
- Lynchburg scored its final run on an RBI groundout by senior catcher Matthew Stevens (Annandale, Va.) in the sixth.
- Junior right-hander Ryan Irby (Midlothian, Va.) took the loss for LC, while RC's Matthew Franklin earned the win in relief.
Lynchburg will celebrate Senior Day on Sunday, April 8 against No. 8 Randolph-Macon on LC's James C. Fox Field at noon.