Score: Lynchburg 96, Averett 55
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Turner Gymnasium)
Records: Lynchburg (7-2), Averett (4-3)
40 Minutes Later
Following a 34 point performance, including a 25 point second-half explosion, senior Charmaine Hairston joined an exclusive club in Lynchburg Women's Basketball history as she surpassed the 1,000 point mark and moved into ninth all-time on the scoring list. Head Coach Abby Pyzik-Smith recorded her 100th career win as a head coach with the victory on Sunday afternoon, becoming the fastest to the century mark in Women's Basketball history.
The Hornets dominated the Cougars across the board and controlled the pace of the game. Lynchburg headed into halftime with a 10 point lead but extended their lead to as much as 46 in the second half.
- Hairston finished the game with a career-high 34 points and tacked on four rebounds, two assists and a steal in 37 minutes
- Junior Caroline Naumann was a rebound shy of her third double-double of the season, registering 12 points and nine rebounds
- Seeing the court for just nine minutes, freshman Michele Montgomery made the most of the playing time by recording the most points in her young career with eight (3-3 FG).
Beyond the Stat Sheet
- Hairston is only 15 points away from overtaking current Head Softball Coach, Dawn Simmons, who sits in 8th all-time with 1016 points
- Coach Pyzik-Smith is now the second winningest coach in Lynchburg Women's Basketball history, behind only Marie Lewis (232 wins)
- The Hornets swatted a season-high six shots in the victory
A Look Ahead
The Hornets will now go on a two-week break for the Holidays and will return to the hardcourt when they head to the Music City Classis in Nashville, Tenn. for two games in which they will play Marymount (Va.) on Dec. 29th and Stevenson the following day.